So, You just moved out of home eeeh? and you are looking at your kitchen that is so empty, nothing like moms and you are wondering where on earth do I start???? When I first lived alone I was 20 years old. I had just started Uni in one of our local Universities. Mum packed me a few items from home. Sufurias (pots), a pan, some mwikos (wooden cooking spoon), kinives, 2 plates, etc.
It was quite exciting staying in my own house. Back then the few items I got from my mama were enough. I loved my tiny kitchen. Cooking up meals for one that mama taught me, feeling all independent. All I had was a meko. I can’t even recall if I had a microwave or not. But that Kitchen was actually the second birth of my love for cooking.
When I later moved to Australia and mama was not there to start off my kitchen, I had to then fumble my way through always going back and forth between my Kitchen and supermarket. This Kitchen was where I had my 3rd and last rebirth of my love for cooking. In this kitchen I became curious, I pushed my boundaries, I experimented. I cooked, I entertained. And as I fumbled and learned I got ot understand what one needs to have in their kitchen to sail through.
Well it is not that hard and it doesn’t even have to be expensive. Here is a Youtube video the items you need. It’s a two part video watch it here
But just for future reference here is a summarized lists
- Hand washing soap
- Hand towel
- Sufuria (Pots): you need non stick and also aluminium ones. Different sizes.
- Pan: Basically you just need 1 23cm pan
- Wok. Its a mix of a pan and a sufuria. It’s basically a Karai. It is great with stir frys and also good to use for deep frying.
- Mwikos (wooden spoons) different shapes and sizes. make sure you get one that makes ugali. If you ask the shop attendant they will show you which one it is
- Tongs: great for grilling
- Turner: for eggs
- Chopping boards
- Knives: Different sizes
- Meat mallet : Good for pounding meat and tenderizing it
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Mixing bowls cum serving bowls
- Weighing scale
- Garlic press
- Potato peeler
- Cork screw
- Can opener
Watch the second part here:
Do remember to share the foodie love and share the videos 🙂