It is interesting how versatile food is, how much we can make just from our kitchen, we can use food not only for nutrition but for medicinal value, for sanitary reason and even for beauty.When I first saw this tutorial I was excited I just had to try it. Unfortunately the photos I took then got lost when I lost my hard disk and lost FOUR YEARS of work . Yes I died little.
Anyway you just have to try this, especially now when our homes seem to be breeding ground for mosquitoes, or is it just my house. It is so depressing when i open the wardrobes they come flying out like children who had the bell at 4pm and its home time, they are even in the drawers they are sooo annoying.
How this thing works is by attracting mosquitoes to the bottle using Co2 and moisture, which is what attracts mosquitoes to humans. It is quite easy to make a bit time consuming but worth it in the end. Let me know how you go
- Empty 2 liter bottle
- Permanent marker
- Utility knife or sharp scissors
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups cool water
- 1 cup of white sugar
- Thermometer, preferably an instant read or candy thermometer
- Dry active yeast
- Black plastic shopping bag
Take a 2 liter soda bottle. Cut off the top right below where it starts to narrow for the top, invert and place inside the lower half.
Sugar SyrupBring 1 cup of the water to a boil. Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in 2 cups cool water, stir well.
- Check the temperature of the syrup to make sure it is no hotter than 90 degrees F, if hotter, let cool to 90 degrees F (if you use your fingers to measure the temp it should be luke warm, not cool on your finger and yet not really warm IF it is hot it will kill the yeast) , add 1 tsp. active dry yeast, no need to mix. Put syrup in the bottom part of the bottle, using the cut off neck piece, leave in place.
- Seal the two parts of the bottle with the tape. The fermenting yeast will release carbon dioxide. Put black paper around the bottle since mosquitoes like dark places and carbon dioxide. This mosquito trap will then start working.
TIPS: Put the trap in a dark and humid place for 2 weeks, you’ll see the effect. You’ll have to replace the sugar water + yeast solution every 2 weeks.
Do post pictures on our Facebook page when you do make it.